HWY 1 Camping (6/9-11)

forum for members of the College & Career group

HWY 1 Camping (6/9-11)

Postby hs » Mon May 08, 2006 9:27 am

(Please excuse any redundancy should this information have already been passed in young adult ENCORE.)

1. Where are tents situated in proximity to the cabin/other group tents (provided there are any)?

2. Where are the parking lot and restroom facilities in proximity to either?

3. Are tents included in the cost, or are we renting a plot on which to stake our own?
hs

Camping Trip Amenities

Postby MrMosey » Mon May 08, 2006 6:38 pm

We have reserved the following cabins:
Pintail Cabin
River Otter Cabin

The Pintail Cabin has two bedrooms and a bed in the kitchen/parlor, as well as a full bathroom.
The River Otter Cabin is one big room with beds, there is an outhouse just outside the cabin.

Based on current registrations (11 people signed-up so far), the capacity of the cabins (8+6=14) will not be exceeded which means that we can put up tents right outside the cabins. The River Otter Cabin will be designated as a female cabin, the Pintail Cabin will be utilized by the couples. The relative locations of each structure (including parking) is best seen on the "Detail Information" PDF for the River Otter Cabin.
MrMosey
Deacon

Postby hs » Mon May 08, 2006 9:28 pm

Dial-up and PDFs do not play well together (I returned after allowing the browser fifteen minute's load time [how's that for line-hogging?] to find it unresponsive), but I think I have the general idea: we will sleep near enough to the cabin to prevent a reoccurrence of two female campers attacked by a psycho with an ax (Oregon, 1971)--or will at least be within hearing range, should screams be in order--and the closest shower is probably a dunk in the Wapsipinicon. I can hang. Thank you for the info, MrMosey.

addendum: A visual pulled from the River Otter PDF, for the benefit of fellow dial-uppers--

hs

Showers

Postby MrMosey » Wed May 10, 2006 9:08 pm

For the benefit of all, the shower/bathroom in the Pintail Cabin will be available for use by anyone in our group throughout the day. Due to the increased cost, those sleeping in the Pintail Cabin (and thereby financing it) will get priority in the morning, but otherwise it is FCFS. Nobody should have to resort to the river, unless that is their preference. Also, for completeness, showers will not be mandatory, but strongly urged. ;)
MrMosey
Deacon

Food

Postby MrMosey » Wed May 10, 2006 9:13 pm

Can a preliminary pass of the Menu be posted for perusal by participants, please?
Also, if there is a current estimate on costs ('cause the latest word is still $25, which may or may not be correct) could that be calculated and contributed as well?
Thanks!
MrMosey
Deacon

Tents

Postby MrMosey » Thu May 11, 2006 1:13 pm

Another clarifying point (for those who get the bulk of their HWY1 information via the forum, for whatever reason):

We are limited to one tent per cabin and consequently will be acquiring large enough tents to contain all members of a given gender (current thought is one large guys tent and one smaller girls tent, based on indicated preference). You will be responsible only for your bedding and clothing, the balance (tents, supplies, food, etc.) will be included in the cost and brought by those specifically requested to bring such.

Once the signup deadline has passed, details can be finalized and will be communicated (via multiple information sources, likely including this forum). Thanks for your continued patience and interest!
MrMosey
Deacon

Further Information

Postby TheOtherMosey » Mon May 15, 2006 4:40 pm

I would like to add some responses to the initial questions posed by hs:

1. As MrMosey noted, if we don't exceed 14 people total, two tents can be put up outside the cabins. However, if we exceed 14 people, we will have to get additional tent sites in the Plains Campground, which is right next to the cabins (refer to the image that hs posted).

2. Parking areas for the cabins are also noted on the image above. However, I don't think there are even a dozen spots, and these also serve the other two cabins which we are not using. I don't think there is a parking lot for the Plains Campground, you just park your car next to your tent. If everyone wants to have their own car there (which I'm assuming would be most people's preference), we will probably need to park elsewhere in the park and only have two or three cars at the cabins. As for showers - MrMosey mentioned that the shower in the Pintail Cabin can be made available to others throughout the day. If you want to shower in the morning or don't want to use the one in the cabin, there is also a shower facility in the park in the Flying Squirrel Campground. It is not pictured in the image above, but it's not too far from the Plains Campground. I would expect that most of our people would be utilizing that facility. As for bathrooms - since we expect to spend most of our time in the cabin area, the bathroom in the Pintail Cabin and the outhouse outside the River Otter Cabin should serve us fine.

3. I think MrMosey covered this one pretty well. Tents will be included in the cost, but the cost will depend on the number of people going. Since the sign-up deadline has now passed, we will soon have exact cost information available.
TheOtherMosey

Recreation

Postby TheOtherMosey » Mon May 15, 2006 4:52 pm

I also have some notes about what will be available for recreation. We will probably put up a badminton net in the cabin area. The park offers five walking trails, paddle boat rentals, an observation tower, a frisbee golf course, a wildlife display, and sand volleyball pits, among other things. We will likely create a schedule with times for certain activities. Anyone who wants to do a certain activity can go at that time to participate together. No one will be required to do the activities, just pick the ones that you want to do.

I am excited about this trip! Please pray that the weather will be nice for us - no rain, reasonable temperatures.
TheOtherMosey

Handout #1

Postby MrMosey » Sat May 27, 2006 11:25 pm

In case you didn't get one of these (or lost it), here's an electronic copy of Handout #1.
MrMosey
Deacon

Handout #2

Postby MrMosey » Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:03 pm

This was passed out today: Handout #2

Cabin PDFs (mentioned in Handout #2):
Big
Small

<hs>url-fix</hs>
MrMosey
Deacon

Postby hs » Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:46 pm

Additional packing suggestion (as if you could survive without it):

- a camera
hs

photographic evidence of a fantastic adventure

Postby MrMosey » Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:36 pm

For those of you who followed the suggestion by hs and packed one (and actually used it), please submit your photos (digital preferred) for inclusion on the HWY1 website for everyone to share. I have already received a digital copy of some of the photos taken by the aforementioned individual (though I'm still still waiting for the rest of hers).
MrMosey
Deacon

Christmas Lights

Postby MrMosey » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:56 pm

I was chatting with some folks during the camping trip and learned that at least one person hadn't seen the christmas lights movies, so I tossed them on PhotoBucket:

I've got a better copy on my PC at home (PhotoBucket reprocessed it to reduce the file size), so if it's too fuzzy you can stop by and see it instead.
MrMosey
Deacon

Postby hs » Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:49 pm

That was a rather interesting conversation--series of conversations (one in particular I will refrain from mentioning...for the one-thousandth time). I think this must have been one of the few occasions with this crowd, with any crowd, where I actually sat around and talked with people. Customary for firesides, I hear...something about salamanders in the flames and whatnot.

I am curious to know what my fellow campers consider to be highlights of this trip.
hs

favorite part

Postby MrMosey » Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:32 pm

My favorite part was the inspirational devotions. They were expertly prepared and flawlessly delivered. The author deserves a round of applau... just kidding.

Seriously, though, if you'd like a copy of the materials I presented, here they are:
Friday night
Saturday night
MrMosey
Deacon

Pictures!

Postby MrMosey » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:21 pm

The best of the submitted photos appear in the 2006 Camping Trip section of the HWY Photo Album, complete with captions. Enjoy!

In case you'd rather see them all together, there's also a new topic on the HWY1 forum with a gigantic scrolling list of the pictures (minus the captions). CAUTION: that page will take a long time to display all of the pictures.

P.S. If you haven't submitted your photos, it's not too late. There's always more room in the HWY1 Photo Album.
MrMosey
Deacon

Return to C&C Group