New annex / our place in this world

forum for members of the College & Career group

New annex / our place in this world

Postby Marmie » Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:37 am

What do you all think about the new look of the new annex?

Are the folding chairs sufficient or should we continue to pursue more comfortable seating (couches and chairs)?

What else do we need in there to make this feel like home while you're here?

Some of you are leaving us next May. Do you have things you want to discuss while you're still here?

How will you live in this world once you leave us?

What are your fears?

What are you excited about?

How can we better help you prepare for your departure and subsequent journey? (not death, just leaving us)

What kind of coffee do you want to have on hand during Encore?

Can we use a small frig in there with cream and whatever else?

Other thoughts? :idea:

Marmie agrees that: ~The Lord will give grace and glory; no good thing will he withhold from those who walk uprightly. ~ Ps. 84:11
Marmie

Postby Aaron » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:06 pm

i like the annex. however, it needs a certain home-ish touch. the paint is a wonderful start (especially since i have virtually no painting skill.) and i love the candles. but some more plush furniture would be a wonderful touch, and a lovely relief to our sore backsides. although, given my ability to participate in the service last sunday, perhaps couches would not be the best option. i'd like to come out some saturday day sometime and see how i can help. i work this saturday, and don't know schedule for next week, but let me know what i can do.
Aaron

Postby hs » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:16 pm

The look is more bold than anything I would have attempted on my own, but bravery paid off, the result is a room the envy of all the otherwise white walls on this property. (Thus far; not if Chila and I have anything to say about it.) I agree with Aaron that the annex could be still more cozied (with window curtains, as one fixture), though keep in mind that plush furnishings can sometimes require plush pockets. We'll simply have to commence fund-raising for a good cause: the Aaron's Backside Relief Fund.
hs

Annx Comfy-fication Proj. /Aaron's Backside Relief Fund

Postby Marmie » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:19 pm

Marmie will begin looking for suitable window dressings. She's already scouting out auctions for couches, etc., but so far no luck -- at least none that fit the color scheme we have to work with and egg money savings we have to pay with. Not to fret, though, because Marmie loves an auction, any auction, and she's been to more auctions (and had more fun) in the past 3 weeks than any one person should be allowed. That's meant a lot to her.

The search continues.... Does Marmie spy an auction coming up this Saturday??? (Yes, Aaron, we have your hind interests in mind.)

:lol:
Marmie agrees that: ~The Lord will give grace and glory; no good thing will he withhold from those who walk uprightly. ~ Ps. 84:11
Marmie

Postby Aaron » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:36 pm

just fyi, i was not only concerned with my own personal comfort issues, i was thinking more of the whole group! we all want soft heavenlyness to put our hiney's on! but let me know if you need me to do anything. do we need to schedule a love offering in our little annex on a particular week to cover the any costs of paint, furniture, tea, water, breathing air, etc...?
Aaron

Postby convoco » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:09 am

I'll cover the cost of the air.
"We have first raised a dust and then complain we cannot see."
George Berkeley
convoco

Paul's contribution

Postby Marmie » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:39 am

Paul said, "I'll cover the cost of the air."

My chickens respond with "cheep, cheep, cheep".
Marmie

Postby Aaron » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:52 am

not for the amount of warm air he uses!
Aaron

Paul breathes....

Postby Marmie » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:57 am

Oh, so true. But thankfully or not, he puts out much more hot air than warm air he takes in. hee hee hee :lol:

Love that guy!
Last edited by Marmie on Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Marmie

Postby eBeth » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:21 pm

I personally like the new look, it is very lovely, and the colours are soothing. This is espescially necessary as often get into very deep discussions :wink:
I personally am indifferent about the furniture--folding chairs are fine w/ me.

There is one thing I am a little worried about in regards to our Encore group. I think we might be a little too closed. What I mean by that is:
could someone from the outside enter and be ok? We have all kinds of inside jokes and discussions that would confuse an unbeliever.
What are your thoughts? Am I off-base?
Beth
eBeth

Our inside jokes, etc.

Postby Marmie » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:43 pm

Good point. In my humble opinion, I would hope we are all mature enough in there to focus on and think of the new person, should they show up at our annex doorstep sometime. And if perchance, rare as the occasion might be, this person would be a non-believer, we would all have to do double-duty on that issue. And we will also go out of our way to make things simple enough to understand without making the new person feel uncomfortable or talked down to. Some of those in our group think a bit deeper than most, and that's okay, too. We don't want to exclude anyone: the simple thinker, the average thinker, or the deep thinker. All are welcome to be present and to participate as they see fit. That's what stretches us and grows us up.

I think when we're all "family" though, and we know it, and we know each other well enough to feel like family, we can let our hair down a bit and behave like it. That's what makes church comfortable (not that church is all about "comfort"; I'm not saying that) -- finding your niche and then being allowed to be yourself with those people. That doesn't mean we don't reach out or try to bring others in; just the opposite. A family should be able to sharpen each other like no one else can; when offended we're the quickest to forgive and the most likely to "demand" a complete restoration; we see and know and care about each other, after all! And when all those dynamics are in place, we are in the position to reach out to others from our heart with passion and genuine Christ-like love.

Let the non-Christ-ones come to visit -- and by God's grace we'll show them a hospitality and "otherness" that will blow them away! That's what it's all about, isn't it?

In the meantime, we may just act like family. That's okay, too.
Marmie

a small surprise...

Postby Marmie » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:24 pm

Oh, BTW, there's a small surprise awaiting you co-eds this Sunday...in our co-ed college comfy little nest...bet you can't guess what it is...don't try, it'll ruin the surprise.

(It's amazing what $3 can buy nowadays....)
Marmie

Return to C&C Group