Ideas for events

forum for members of the College & Career group

Which of these events most appeals to you?

Six Flags road trip (Chicago or St. Louis)
22%
Mall of America road trip
No votes
Adventureland trip
No votes
Wisconsin Dells road trip
22%
A dinner in the Amana Colonies
56%
Water park (Waterloo or Davenport)
No votes

Total votes : 9

Ideas for events

Postby MrMosey » Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:19 pm

We need some feedback on what kind of activities you are interested in. At the very least, please complete the poll. If you can, go ahead and throw some ideas out in replies to this message.
MrMosey
Deacon

Amana Colonies

Postby MrMosey » Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:42 pm

There is also an indoor waterpark/minigolf at Wasserbahn that has a day-pass available (without staying in the hotel).
MrMosey
Deacon

Postby hs » Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:13 pm

Am not terribly gungho for extended road trips, what with gas prices swelling and predicted to reach $3/gal. by Summer. If we can live interestingly but inexpensively, let's do.

Am no water bug, nor up for many thrill rides these days—a pansy stomach has betrayed the daredevil of my youth.

Now, a quaint meal in Amana and/or Amish country? Touring a historical village? Those outings I can stomach. And would bore the rest of you. (Just leave me; I belong in the JOY group.)

-partypooper
hs

Postby convoco » Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:08 pm

My home is 15 minutes away from Mall of America and... sorry to be a downer, but it's not really worth an entire trip! My vote is for a Six Flags, even though I'll likely be in Minnesota when it happens.
"We have first raised a dust and then complain we cannot see."
George Berkeley
convoco

car pooling

Postby RobbyArt » Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:15 pm

I just signed up. This site works really slick...

I wonder if car pooling would save any money for a trip?
I guess I'm confused about the purpose/type/subject for this event. Then I can make suggestions.

I've heard of the other locations except Wisconsin Dells. I looked it upon the internet. A water park.
RobbyArt

carpooling, etc.

Postby MrMosey » Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:25 pm

There might actually be a 15-passenger van available by the time we take a trip somewhere, so carpooling is definitely an option; we're certainly not all gonna drive 200 miles alone and just meet up in Chicago or something.

As for the Dells, the specific park that is of interest is called Mt. Olympus and it has roller coasters, go karts, minigolf, and water rides (something for everybody). Keep in mind these are just ideas; if you've got better ones, sound off!

The purpose for the trip is to go somewhere besides Linn County and do something big, especially for people who haven't ever had the opportunity. Any group activity is for relationship building, mutual encouragement, fun, whatever. A big trip would do so even more than a normal event.

My favorite idea would have to be Cedar Point but that's even farther away (though worth the trip, in my mind). Keep the good ideas coming!
MrMosey
Deacon

Postby chasthewind » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:43 pm

Dinner in the amana's and road trip to St. Louis
chasthewind

Postby princess24 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:31 pm

I'm always up for dinner in the Amanas and/or Kalona. this would be my preference over theme parks. Roller coasters aren't really my thing. St. Louis would be fun b/c I've never been there before.
princess24

Postby hs » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:52 pm

There is also an Amish-run restaurant (meals out of a house) in the small community of Hazleton, near Independence, about an hour North/Northwest. Very nearly stopped in once.

And yours is a positive perspective, Renee, to be willing to visit a location simply because you never have. That is exciting in itself, no roller coasters necessary. I've never seen St. Louis or Chicago.
hs

Postby NinjaOfLight » Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:27 am

The Dells sounded fun, for no particular reason. If we're going to hit Amana (given the majority of opinions), though, we should probably plan to spend some time touristing, rather than driving all the way there and back just for the meal. Carpooling would probably be intelligent, too, as even that trip could run somebody 8 or 9 bucks in gas money.
NinjaOfLight

Postby RobbyArt » Mon May 01, 2006 12:52 am

What do people think of thoughts on....
Air ballooning, cave exploring, some dinosaur paleontology guided by an expert....
Nothing wrong with a roller coaster ride or a quiet meal at the Amana colonies though.
I hope I'm coloring within the guide lines here. What kind of trip is this exactly?
RobbyArt

Movie Marathon

Postby MrMosey » Wed May 03, 2006 5:42 pm

Is there enough interest in movies to justify an event? I was thinking probably the Lord Of The Rings Trilogy (extended edition) which we own but have not yet watched. Watching all three in one sitting would be over 11 hours long (682 minutes total), but I think it would be fun anyway. Anybody else agree?
MrMosey
Deacon

Re: Movie Marathon

Postby hs » Wed May 03, 2006 6:59 pm

Sounds fun; gluttonous, mind-numbing, butt-blistering, but fun--allowing commentary, frequent intermissions, and at least one diehard Tolkien fan on hand for consultation.

(Have you read the books?)
hs

Tolkien

Postby MrMosey » Wed May 03, 2006 7:15 pm

I plead the fifth [on having read the books]. Seriously, though, I think I read part of the trilogy once, but it's been a long time. I did see the normal edition of the three movies in the theatre, but not the extended edition yet. I've been authorized to hold this event if enough (i.e. 10 or more) people are interested, location to be determined. We've got a 29" tube at home, but it's only mono sound; might like to try the projector/sound system combo at the church bldg. More flexibility there also, if people get bored/need a break/wanna wander around.
MrMosey
Deacon

Postby RobbyArt » Wed May 03, 2006 11:10 pm

Sounds like you have a good theater station and good situation for a movie event and I do like LTR, but 11 hours. Wow.
RobbyArt

Postby Marmie » Thu May 04, 2006 9:11 pm

Speaking for one of us in the college age group, it sounds like a plan.

If we don't want to do 11 whole hours of LOTR, we might also consider a "B" movie night. You know, the Blob, Them (giant ants), the Spider that Ate Cedar Rapids (made that one up), etc. Nothing like some really bad movies to make one appreciate the really good ones.

There's no thrillers like the old thrillers....

~Marmie
Marmie agrees that: ~The Lord will give grace and glory; no good thing will he withhold from those who walk uprightly. ~ Ps. 84:11
Marmie

Postby RobbyArt » Wed May 10, 2006 9:09 pm

I wonder what would happen with a Godzilla marathon....
I think there are about 45 Godzilla movies to pick from.
I would assume they all have outrageous English subtitles and that few of us have seen any of the movies
Getting a hold of enough sequels might pose a problem.
RobbyArt

FYI

Postby hs » Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:11 am

If we do an Adventureland excursion, September is the last month available in this Park season.
hs

Postby hs » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:48 pm

Group biking; nothing intensive (we are none of us pros at this); late afternoon or evening on a weeknight, perhaps a longer venture if a weekend (as the heat dictates); on a trail (Pleasant Creek, Sac & Fox, Prairie Farmer, Cedar Valley, &c.) or about the neighborhood.

Any interest (beyond the obvious)?
hs

Postby runningman » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:21 pm

hs wrote:Group biking; nothing intensive (we are none of us pros at this); late afternoon or evening on a weeknight, perhaps a longer venture if a weekend (as the heat dictates); on a trail (Pleasant Creek, Sac & Fox, Prairie Farmer, Cedar Valley, &c.) or about the neighborhood.

Any interest (beyond the obvious)?

I'm definitely interested!
runningman

Postby hs » Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:33 am

Just arrived back from the Mall of America, I can vouch for its being a worthwhile trip. I can already predict where we'd lunch (Sbarro or Villa Pizza), and where certain males would disappear to for the afternoon.
hs

http://www.smsonline.com

Postby MrMosey » Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:35 am

I've done that before (a couple times) and it's fun, but I certainly couldn't spend a whole afternoon in there (too pricey). I even have my membership card still (think: "driver's license") so the computer will know how awesome I am at racing (j/k, mostly). The opportunity also presented itself during our vacation in St. Louis last week, but as it is more fun to race with people (especially people you know, especially friends to whom you can brag about your victory), I decided to save my bucks for the next opportunity (maybe with the HWY1 group at the MOA!). I'm guessing I'm not the only one who would enjoy some wheel-to-wheel racing (Mark, John, etc. and hopefully some ladies too!).
MrMosey
Deacon

Postby MrMosey » Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:56 pm

tubing at the Squaw Creek park; they even have a tow rope, supposedly
MrMosey
Deacon

A few thoughts

Postby GoBronte » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:11 am

A couple of ideas might include:

A morning or afternoon at the shooting range (Mark B. knows of a place).

An Alfred Hitchcock suspense movie night (I'm not into thrillers, but his suspense/spy movies are unparalleled).

A competition type activity: basketball freethrows, foosball, pingpong, whatever. This could also coincide with a game day activity, though, and would be of interest to visitors, I think.

A cookout in the spring -- we could open our small farm for this.

All of these are relatively cheap activities and wouldn't require an extensive outlay of time or $.

Just a few that popped into my head recently....
Like a soft air above a sea,
Tossed by the tempest's stir;
A thaw-wind, melting quietly
the snow-drift on some wintry lea;
No, what sweet thing resembles thee,
My thoughtful Comforter.
(from My Comforter, by Ellis Bell [Emily Bronte])
GoBronte

all of these ideas sound good

Postby RobbyArt » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:05 pm

I always like options for activities in case I'm not doing something else.

Actually a Hitchcock movie sounds unique. Any of the films really.
Would like some good popcorn and perhaps some cooking/baking to go along with that.
I can cook...or try.
RobbyArt

Hitchcock suspense

Postby GoBronte » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:12 pm

We love the AH directed films and have in our possession these fabulous classics:

North by Northwest (with Cary Grant and Eva Marie Saint)

Foreign Correspondent (Joel McCrea and Laraine Day)

Notorious (Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman)

and are looking into a few others from ebay, but will be viewing them through Netflix first.

Popcorn would be a must, true, as well as other munchies and yummies, and maybe even some sandwiches or something.
My thoughtful Comforter.
GoBronte

other AH

Postby RobbyArt » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:05 pm

What about
To Catch A Thief
?
RobbyArt

Catch one

Postby GoBronte » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:51 pm

Yep, that's a good one, too, but we don't own it yet. I have it in our queue with Netflix and should be receiving it soon to view again. We'll also be seeing Strangers on a Train, Shadow of a Doubt, Lifeboat, and Torn Curtain. Have you seen any of these, and if so, would you recommend them?
My thoughtful Comforter.
GoBronte

me?

Postby RobbyArt » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:43 pm

Not personally. Never seen them that I know of.
RobbyArt

Postby hs » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:43 pm

I've seen but one: The Birds, from 1963.
hs

Next

Return to C&C Group