Ideas for events

forum for members of the College & Career group

Which of these events most appeals to you?

Six Flags road trip (Chicago or St. Louis)
22%
Mall of America road trip
No votes
Adventureland trip
No votes
Wisconsin Dells road trip
22%
A dinner in the Amana Colonies
56%
Water park (Waterloo or Davenport)
No votes

Total votes : 9

The truth about Alfred Hitchcock

Postby Marmie » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:41 pm

Well, it seems that I again failed to clarify a salient point about these movies. I think you've all rec'd the email I sent out defining "thriller".

Let me quote it again here, from Wikipedia, "Thriller is a broad genre of literature, film, and television. It includes numerous, often overlapping sub-genres. Thrillers are characterized by fast pacing, frequent action, and resourceful heroes who must thwart the plans of more-powerful and better-equipped villains. Literary devices such as suspense, red herrings, and cliffhangers are used extensively."

A thriller differs tremendously from a "horror" movie. We don't do horror, nor overly scary thrillers. The three we've chosen for March 9th are spy/suspense thrillers. There are no ax murderers, no psychos, none of that ugly, unnecessary stuff. Unfortunately, Alfred Hitchcock is probably more well known for his psychological thrillers than for his suspense. But he has directed and/or produced some brilliant suspense movies. One's we won't have a chance to watch are "The Man Who Knew Too Much", and "Rear Window". Those are good, suspenseful, movies. As are the 3 we hope to watch next week. I thought "The Birds" was good, too, but haven't seen it for a number of years, so may change my mind if I see it again soon.

P.S. I forgot to mention Notorious in my email. I'll try and bring that one, too, and we can pick and choose. That's a great movie.
Marmie agrees that: ~The Lord will give grace and glory; no good thing will he withhold from those who walk uprightly. ~ Ps. 84:11
Marmie

Postby hs » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:39 pm

(GoBronte posting as Marmie?)
hs

It is simply her...

Postby Marmie » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:03 pm

alter ego. The Mom part of her as opposed to the writer. This and the last post were a switch in gears. Not sure what that means, but then neither do you, so we're even. How's that for explaining?
Marmie agrees that: ~The Lord will give grace and glory; no good thing will he withhold from those who walk uprightly. ~ Ps. 84:11
Marmie

FYI

Postby hs » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:57 pm

what : Adventureland Rally
when : May 12th, 2007, 9:30 AM "sharp"; park open until 8:00 PM
speaker : Rev. Mark Smith, Director of Bible Tracts, Inc.
cost : $18 pre-registered by May 5th ($16 pre-registered sponsors), $21 at gate, children under 4 free
hs

Postby hs » Thu May 03, 2007 10:24 pm

Old suggestions (combing the thread):
    LotR marathon
    Living History Farms (Urbandale)
    ballooning
    Maquoketa caves!
    church cleaning
    sitting around a campfire
    biking
    laser tag
    yard maintenance for elderly parishioners
    canoeing
    ice skating
    HACAP box-packing
    MoA (Bloomington, MN)
    theme parks--Mt. Olympus (Wisconsin Dells); Cedar Point (Sandusky, OH); Adventureland (Altoona); Six Flags-St. Louis
    tubing, Squaw Creek Park
New suggestions:
    Chicago's Museum of Science & Industry (preferrably when the BodyWorlds exhibition isn't sold out, heh)
    paintball
    sledding
    extended walk and picnic (e.g., along the Cedar Valley trail)
    live Unshackled recording, Chicago
    Underground Church (like a night-time Capture the Flag)
    golf cart races!
    helping Owens ready their house for moving
    candy-striping?
    IMAX movie
    volunteering at the Madge Phillips Center--a week from Saturday
    regular visits to shut-ins
    mall scavenger hunt
    camping--in tents
    skydiving
hs

Further ideas

Postby Marmie » Tue May 15, 2007 9:53 am

Something at the roomy 400 acre lake near our place (picnic, fishing, boating, frisbee, sandy beach stuff, etc.).

Something at our little hobby farm (bonfire, sheep, chicken and cat petting, cookout, airsoft games, whatever -- all FREE!).

Help "Darryl's Shoe Repair" organize his little shop in the Mall (outreach activity).

Paint a little old lady's little tiny house on the outskirts of Shellsburg (outreach/testimony activity).

Previous suggestions mentioned by HS are wonderful. Let's get some of this stuff on the calendar! Summer is busy, but some of us will hopefully be able to make each activity, even if all cannot.
Marmie

Another thought

Postby Marmie » Tue May 15, 2007 11:24 am

How about an annual masquerade party? Since a few of us are a bit attuned with the medieval atmosphere (having done Thaeogarde for a couple of years), how about a medieval masquerade party to start things off? The costuming would be pretty simple, actually. Anything long and flowing. The food would be fun to think of: dragon ribs (barbequed ribs) or ground dragon burgers, loafs of crusty bread, fresh whole veggies, soups, etc. Add to this a keg of rootbeer and the evening would be complete, with the addition of a few medieval bits of entertainment. Yea!
Marmie

Re: Ideas for events

Postby eBeth » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:29 pm

Hi! Your events sound really cool and fun:) I miss all of you a ton. How are things going there? Is there anything I can pray for? I love you all! :D
eBeth

Previous

Return to C&C Group