C. S. Lewis and singleness -- random rambling

forum for members of the College & Career group

C. S. Lewis and singleness -- random rambling

Postby Marmie » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:00 am

Lewis was single for about 60 of his 63 years. Considering that most of his writings on marriage were written before he married, it's amazing to me that he so squarely hit the nail on the head with most of his efforts on the topic. It leads me to believe that maybe, just maybe, we really can trust [rely on, depend on, count on] the book he used to reference pretty much every single idea he transcribed on said subject.

This book, of course, is the Judeo-Christian Scriptures which consist of the "Old" and "New" Testaments (or "covenants").

This book is replete with instructions about human relationships: which relationships to pursue, which to avoid, how to act in certain situations, which character traits we should build into our lives, and which to toss away, etc.

It has so much to say about singleness. What it is, and what is should be. How to manage the sometimes tumultuous waters of our feelings, our desires, our temptations.

How do I prepare for marriage? What can I expect in marriage? Is marriage for me? That's all addressed to some degree or another, as well, in this book we so readily grab on a Sunday morning on our way to church, but often forget to read.

This is a book (the Bible) that speaks unashamedly to our very passions and tells us straight out what pleases God.

I like this book. It's a comfort to me. It's comforting to know that the very One who created me, also cares enough to know me intimately, and loves me enough to be here for me continually. He has given us plain and rather simple principles (though not always easy to implement, considering the very powerful nature of our depraved condition) to guide our singleness, or our marriage. It is up to us to put those principles into practice. But even in this, He doesn't leave us without hope or help. He's there. Better yet, he's here. And he cares.
Marmie agrees that: ~The Lord will give grace and glory; no good thing will he withhold from those who walk uprightly. ~ Ps. 84:11
Marmie

Return to C&C Group